Friday, September 13, 2013

A Season to Not Remember

The key to being a Virginia Tech football fan right now is something that some people would probably consider to be a negative trait.  I, of course, disagree.  And, luckily for me, I have this special quality after many years of sleep loss due to three children...  What is it, you ask?

SHORT-TERM MEMORY LOSS.

I don't want to brag, but I have it pretty badly.  It's to the point right now that I can almost get half excited for the game tomorrow because I can just forget about the last two weeks.  I highly recommend developing your own poor memory, specifically short-term.  If it's just long-term, you wouldn't be able to get through a whole season.  I guarantee it.  You need to be able to just kinda... black out from week to week.

Ignorance is bliss.

Regardless of my bliss, there are a few things that managed to sear into my brain from last week - probably thanks to the HOT HOT SUN that burned my left ear... and the left side of my neck... and both of my arms.  I think that as the skin peels, memories slowly ooze out from wherever they usually go to be forgotten.  Thus, my game notes:

- Oh... how I miss the New River Valley.  Can you feel the mountains?


- The Mounted Kitties liked to use symbols (see poster board below).  If you look closely, it says... something, RR crossing, something, something.  I think it means to "be like trains", or to "stop being like trains", or "something, something, train something, something."  Or, maybe, the kitties can't read.  Or hear.  Did I miss that this was a special ed school in the Game Notes?


- The older I get, the earlier I arrive at games.  See proof:


I'm not sure if that means I've gotten wiser, or lamer.  Probably the latter.  I haven't had a ticket with 4 letters in the row for years.  Man... I am lame.

- If you weren't there, you may have missed the commercial showing the construction of our very new, very large, very loud, scoreboard.  Per my significant other, the scoreboard couldn't handle finding out where it came from, and freaked out.  It was pretty much blank the majority of the second half.


So impressive.  I'm glad we boasted about our new technology, and then it threw up all over us.  

- So other than my observations from Section 9, I don't have too much to say about the game.  We won.  The Giraffe has no clue how to actually read a defense and then make a decision.  He goes into the huddle with one receiver in mind, and regardless of what goes on, he is going to throw to that one person.  Willie Burn may be my next Danny Coale... though, I'm not going to commit to that yet.  And, well, yes... some people, like Knowles, actually managed to catch the ball.

- Oh, and a nickname has been devised for Edmunds... TREYN.  RR Crossings.  TREYN?  Get it?  We'll see if it sticks.

There should be two major questions on your mind as we move into the upcoming game.  1. Can we lose to ECU?  And, 2. Do I get Fox Sports 1?  

1. Yes.  In fact, I expect it.
2. I have no idea.  I recommend harassing someone at your local satellite/cable office.

I don't want to be a constant nay-sayer, because that will just get old for all of us.  And, I know I said up top that I'm almost excited to watch the game.  The fact is that we are probably matched up pretty evenly with the Johnny Depps.  They are in a program on the way up, and well... we know which way we seem to be headed.  I think we're going to meet right in the middle.  It's nice to watch a game that is actually competitive.  Weaves has made sure that we haven't had that yet this season.  Thanks, Weaves.

Let's illustrate a little comparison, shall we?

 - The Giraffe = 22/57 for 259 yards and 1 TD
- Johnny Depp QB, Shane Carden = 63/79 for 638 yards and 7 TDs

- Treyn = 35 carries for 200 yards and Mangus = 10 carries for 99 yards
- Johnny Depp RB and winner of the Awesome Name of the Game Award, Vintavious Cooper = 32 carries for 133 yards

- The Hokies = 55 points scored in two games = 1-1
- The Johnny Depps = 83 points scored in two games = 2-0

Are you scared yet?  I am.  We win on the running side and they win on the QB side (big surprise there), so based on who we've each played, I think we're about even.  And.  That.  Should.  Scare.  The.  Crap.  Out.  Of.  You.

One big plus?  We can see - if we can actually get the channel - what another network can manage to do to butcher a college football game.  I mean, come on... ESPN has perfected being inept.  I don't know if Fox can top them.  

So, enjoy the trek to Greenville if you are headed down south.  I'll enjoy listening on the radio, I'm sure.  Just be happy that we have a competitive game to watch.  That's good enough for me at this point.  Last game, we beat them by 7 points.  

Work on that short-term memory.

Love rice pudding, 

The B.S.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment