Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Almost Had a Stroke

Beating the Pirates doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.  They are purple, for God's sake.  I am sorta jealous of the pirate flags.  We don't have anything like that.  And just think, every time you go to Disney World, you could stock up on game-day gear at the Pirates of the Caribbean gift shop.  How cool would that be?  Yeah, that would be pretty lame.  I'm with ya.

Seriously, though, that game was awful.  The first quarter?  Awful.  The second quarter?  Awful.  At half-time I started to contemplate what type of alcohol I needed to start drinking.  Thank God that Bud gave 'em hell in the locker room. 
This is what I feel the conversation went with between the coaches in the locker room at half-time:

Stinespring: I don't know Frank, they must have a really good defense even though all our players are bigger than theirs.
Beamer: Where the hell has Wilson been?
Stinespring: We are trying to fake the defense out by not using him effectively.  My plan is to let Thomas run every other play.  The QB keeper!  That's my big play for this game.
Beamer: What the hell have you been drinking at PK's?  Let Wilson run the damn ball.

Logan Thomas didn't even want to be a QB.  Stiney had to convince him.  Don't get me wrong, he's huge.  It's nice to have a QB that towers over everyone else.  But this is no Vick or Taylor.  Did you see how awkward he is when he runs?  Maybe it's just that he's like a giraffe running out there, above all the zebras.  I guess Stiney thinks that even if he just falls forward, he's good for two yards.  I just hope Thomas wants to be a QB now.  Because I don't want to sit through years and years of some guy that doesn't want to be there.  And can we please not give him a complex, Stiney?  Let him throw the ball in some other situation than third and long.  Some of his throws looked horrible, but he's new.  He is supposed to have awful throws.  At least let him throw without pressure a couple times on first or second down.  Give the boy a chance without making him think that you don't trust his ability to throw the ball.  I know we are awesome at ruining QBs, but can we not ruin this one?

And I thought that this season was going to be spectacular, thanks to Stiney staying out of the booth.  I think he's still calling all the shots, even though he's now down on the sideline.

I don't fault the guys for all those penalties.  Some were just ridiculous.  Others, well, we got lazy.  They got all excited about the big win last week and didn't think that ECU could be a season spoiler.  I just pray that now they keep this game in the back of their heads as a wake-up call.  Plus, isn't it amazing that ECU managed to stay penalty-free all game?  If there was one, I must have missed it in my misery.  Those ref's were awful.  They certainly appeared to have a bias.  Beamer was going crazy on the sideline.  He probably almost had a stroke, too.

Our defense is awesome, even though inexperienced.  Fuller was amazing.  Hosley was amazing.  Bud Foster should run for President.  He'd enact a lunch pail program in Congress.  It would be kick-ass.

So now I'm concerned about our whole season.  As I should be.  We'll probably fall in the standings this week, as we should.  To be a VT fan is to both love and hate yourself.  Smiegel.... Smiegel...

Next week I'll be heading down to the game.  White-out is stupid, but I'll participate.  Just the thought of Enter Sandman is enough to get me through this week at work.  I only get to go to three games this year, so they better make them decent.  I wonder where Dave Ramsey would put season tickets in the Baby Steps?  I'm sure they are in there somewhere.

My last thought for the day is this: Can we please get rid of the stupid VT with our fingers?  Whenever they pan to the crowd, someone does it.  We look like idiots.  We have the VT bushes, we have the lunch pail, we have cows, we have Enter Sandman... we even have Beamerball.  We don't need anything more than that.  Please.

Go Hokies!

No comments:

Post a Comment