Friday, September 16, 2011

Little Red Riding Wolves

According to the game notes for the Red Wolves, ASU ranks #25 in the nation for total offense (VT is #43) and for total defense, ASU ranks #41 in the nation (VT is #8).  Another stat from their site: ASU has lost 4 games between VT and Miami, all at least by 27 points.  Their closest game with an ACC opponent came against NC State, where they lost in double over-time, 38-31.  Ouch.  The ACC, 5, the little red riding wolves, 0.

Let's get serious.  Their QB, Ryan Aplin, seems pretty efficient, ranking 20th in the nation after two games this season.  They have two excellent wide receivers, Jarboe and Frampton, and two decent running backs with redshirt freshman, Frankie Jackson, and sophomore, Sirgregory Thornton.  OH YES.  That is NOT a typo.  Sirgregory.  Number 27.  Watch for his highness.  I would like to put it out there right now - the golf clap.  I'm going to personally give Sirgregory one every time he touches the ball.  You can bet on it.

The little red riding wolves had a monster game against Memphis this season, with over 600 yards of offense.  What's that, Bud?  You're gonna give them hell?  I'm not concerned.

What does concern me is that we like to play down to our opponents.  This is a big deal for the red riding wolves.  This is the third straight year where they will be playing in a nationally televised game.  Yes, that's right.  ONE nationally televised game, three years in a row.  Yipee!  The Sun Belt Conference isn't quite the SEC, but we do like to lose to people in obscure conferences... JMU ring a bell?  This would be their first win against an ACC team.  As Hokies, we know how our team loves to make other teams look good.  Especially when it comes to the "first" of something.  We can't let this game slip away like last week.

I expect more insanity on offense this week, dialed up exclusively a-la-Bryan Stinespring.  Here is the Stiney recipe for Hokie success:

One large giraffe for 2-yard gains (aka, the QB keeper)
A pinch of David Wilson just to keep the defense guessing
A dash of Oglesby in the red zone
And 8 tons of prayers that our defense will control the game because where oh where would we be without Bud Foster?

I will be at this game.  The thought of Enter Sandman is so exciting I don't know if I can sleep.  It makes my heart skip a beat and my eyes twinkle just a little bit more.  I will wear white.  It's for Beamer's mom, you know, so make fun of me all you want, but Herma should be your hero, too.  I will probably freeze my ass off.  I will buy over-priced Coke just so I can renew my plastic cups.  I will shake my car keys on third down, I will attempt to make a turkey with my fingers (yes, this is COMPLETELY different than the gay "VT" with your fingers), and I will smile tomorrow morning when Exit 118B appears in my windshield.  This is as good as it gets.  College Football, 4pm kickoff, awesome weather in Blacksburg, and the possibility of kicking some out-of-conference ass. 

If you aren't there, you should be.  Look for me on tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment