Sunday, September 25, 2011

You're No Daisy. You're No Daisy At All!

It is what it is.

If I hadn't been trying to keep the Tombstone theme up for this post, that would have been the title of this column.  What can I say?  They blocked our PAT.  Somehow, through the magic of replay, we avoided the safety.  And oh...why again, did we give a kicker a scholarship?  What happened to Beamer's philosophy of using walk-ons and fifth-year seniors?

It was a rough game, once again.  I never got that feeling of "Oh my Lord I'm going to get an ulcer watching this game," but it still wasn't pretty.  Yet, somehow, we now have the longest winning streak in college football.  Thanks to who?  Clemson.  Who are we playing next week?  Clemson.  Don't pee in your pants just yet.  Save that for later this week.

So let's do a brief wrap up of what stunk: our kicking, our passing, and well, the abandonment of running up the middle.  We missed field goals.  And for God's sake, Danny Coale was punting.  He hasn't punted since high school!  Seriously, Danny Coale is awesome.  Logan Thomas = not so awesome this game.  His throws were sloppy.  We're actually fortunate that we didn't have more interceptions.  I don't know what happened since last week versus Arkansas State.  Maybe he just needs to be in Lane Stadium.  I don't know.  All I know is that we better not see that side of him this Saturday.  Oh yes, I said something about abandoning that run up the middle.  I know, I know.  I have mocked Stiney incessantly for this play.  But I am pretty sure I said that we need to do it every once in a while, to keep the defense honest.  We didn't do that.  Without a doubt, Wilson had an awesome game because we allowed him to get to the outside.  But can't we let Oglesby in a little more often to tire the defense out?  He's our North and South runner.  Maybe I'm just never content with Stiney's play-calling.  Or maybe I'm still scarred from us looking like Miami, or Syracuse.  Seriously?  Orange pants AND orange helmets?  No one likes orange that much, and we're Hokies, dammit!  Please, please, Frank... can we stop with the crazy uniforms?  Give us some maroon before we shrivel up and die.

For the record, that was the first time we've worn that uniform combo in VT history.  Let's hope it was the last.

This was a normal TV game for us as Tech fans.  They brought out the lunch pail, they talked about how awesome Bud Foster is, and they talked about us running for a National Championship.  National Championship?  Really??  Either Beamer is insane, which, based on his decision year after year to keep Stiney, is possible, or he just really tries to hype up the kids in the locker room with nonsense quotes.  I mean, I love us.  LOVE us.  But I don't think we are at the level we need to be to really compete for a national championship.  Maybe when Logan Thomas has some more experience, I'll get excited.  But for right now, I'd like to stick to one game at a time.

I still feel bad for the Buffalo Beanie Babies.  I don't even think I saw Marco on TV.  That's sad.  Maybe they are embarrassed of him.  Their claim to fame is Chad Pennington (sorry, Byron Leftwich, apparently they think you suck).  They also have a really stupid gong/bell that rings on third downs.  I found it extremely annoying.  If that is the purpose if it, then good job, Beanie Babies, good job.

So, that's about it.  I've rambled on enough about a pretty dull game.  Hosley is still fantastic.  Same with Danny Coale.  My last bit of advice is this: Do not wear white polo shirts, especially when you are going to be on TV.  The last thing anyone wants to see is man-nipple.  Enough said.

Drink heavily until the next post.  You will need it to read about Clemson.

Regards,
The B.S.C.

1 comment:

  1. i don't agree with half of what you said...
    danny cole is a great player, you got that right. Give Beamer a little more credit... he always ends up higher in the poles than where we started and yes we are ready for the big step...

    did you play football?

    ReplyDelete