Monday, November 21, 2011

High Fives All Around

It's hard to write a new post on Fridays, so I enabled procrastination by saying that I'll wait for the BCS standings to come out on Sunday.  In the meantime, I was trying to come up with all sorts of catchy names for our movement up the BCS ladder: Seven is Heaven, Seven Up... OK, so I wasn't feeling very creative this week. 

Then the rankings came out.  Five?  REALLY?  We're #5 in the nation?  Wow.  It has taken me until Monday night to get over this.  I really never thought we'd be here.  I know Beamer always manages to squeak out a respectable season, but after that loss to Clemson, I thought we were looking at a 3-4 loss season.  Apparently, I was wrong.  Gladly wrong.

Beamer now has win #250 under his belt and we have our 8th CONSECUTIVE 10-win season.  After that first horrendous turnover on our first offensive play that resulted in a BBL score, we managed to settle down and just hang in there.  We're still the lab partner, but someone might ask us to Homecoming.  It's kinda exciting, isn't it?  Even if it's a dork, it's still a date.

There are a handful of things we all should have learned from this game:
1. Second-half Giraffe rocks whenever he shows up.  I love him.  I know you love him.  He wasn't wicked-good Thursday night, but I think he's saving it for the Hoos down in Hooville this Saturday.
2. White is not a slimming color for a football jersey (and some would argue, barely even a color).  The BBL defensive lineman looked HUGE in their uniforms, and I'm not saying muscular.  It wasn't pretty.  Not pretty at all.
3. For an orange jersey, we looked decent.  I almost liked our look with the maroon helmet.  I'm still not a fan of orange jerseys, but you have to admit that it's better for us to wear the color and win than to say that it's tainted.  It is an official school color, so we all just need to get over it.
4. Thank you, ESPN, for reminding me the one thing I learned while taking "Rocks for Jocks" (aka, Geology) to fulfill my science requirement.  Hokie Stone is indeed a type of limestone.  I was told it was dolostone.  I might be making that up, though.  It was a lab class involving just rocks.  It was a little difficult to stay focused.
5. The BBL field goal kicker is awful.  Thank you, God.
6. It was senior night for Boykin and Coale.  Just try not to think about it.  It makes me really, really sad.  The kind of sad that only Williams-Sonoma peppermint bark can fix.

Turkey day is coming up.  It's OUR holiday, the unofficial holiday of Virginia Tech.  We eat our mascot and we love it.  I hope you have a good one.  Relax, eat, watch football, and think about all the ways we can hurt UVA on Saturday.

So, well, that's about it for tonight's post.  I still don't know what to say about being ranked #5.  Our name is now mentioned in the same paragraph as the National Championship.  It's not going to happen this year... but maybe, just maybe, the Giraffe could send us there next year??  This is a pretty darn exciting time to be a Hokie fan.  Give every person in your office a high five for your Hokies.  You don't need to tell them what it's for, just do it!

Dear ESPN sideline chick,
At the end of the game, you gave Beamer, FRANK BEAMER, the stiff arm.  On camera.  The man just acquired win #250 and you gave him the Heisman.  You are forever reporter trash to this blog.  REPORTER TRASH.

Love that we can show our BCS ranking on one hand,
The B.S.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment