Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Crushing the Hopes of Little Herpys

Ahem.  The three possible/plausibly deniable reasons I am late on this post are:
1.  Baldwin, Jr. and I got into a scuffle on Sunday and I almost died.  Call INOVA Fairfax.  Baldwin, Jr. is still there.  You don't want to even know what he looks like...
2.  I fell asleep during the first half.  I would appreciate a wake-up call before Tuesday, thanks.
3.  Stiney invited me to a private meeting so that we could discuss more solid 3rd-down plays, and, once he learned how much I hate him, he locked me in the basement of PK's.  I lived on wings and beer until someone rescued me Monday.

Yeah, yeah.  So I'm late.  Don't shoot the messenger!  Sometimes, there just isn't much to say.  I must say, though, that I didn't panic at half-time.  I pretty much expect it.  Don't get me wrong, it still makes me want to hurl, but I always figure that we'll get ourselves into gear eventually.

I am saddened by the Herpy drinking game.  Why is Comcast so much better than ESPN?  The only thing they liked to repeat over and over again is that the Giraffe is 6'6".  I've finally realized that they like the clip of Wilson's hooptie ride, though, so I will make sure to include that in the next drinking game that they are covering.  Again - WORLDWIDE LEADER IN SPORTS?  Comcast kicked your ass, ESPN.  You've become the U of sports broadcasting.  Take that!

Once we finally got into our rhythm in the second half (after trailing at half-time 7-6), we looked like a decent team again.  The Giraffe rushed for one and threw for one.  I love that he runs down the field and looks to really hurt whoever chooses to tackle him.  Don't you love that?  Wouldn't you love to see more professional QBs like that?  I'll love it until he gets hurt from it, then I'll pretend I've always disapproved.  Make a mental note.  Wilson racked up 134 yards and Coale had a career-high of 118.  Our offense is great... once it gets moving.  Who should we blame for this?  Stiney.  Always blame Stiney.

Defense... well defense is a whole other ball game.  You know Bud Foster goes to sleep at night (still chewing gum, with the lunch pail under his embroidered pillow saying, "Give 'em hell!") and thinks, "surely no one else will get hurt today."  What is up with all the injuries?  Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce is out for the rest of the season with another one of the crazy Lisfranc sprains in his foot.  The same injury took G-Dub out for the rest of the season.  Gayle managed only a couple of plays until he went out, re-injuring his ankle from the Miami game.  Tweedy went out with an ankle injury (with no return date known).  Antoine Hopkins is out for the rest of the year with a knee injury.  Hosley is still out indefinitely with his hammie.  Bud's gotta be close to heart attack levels with his blood pressure.  Crazy enough, though, we are still managing to hold our own.  Corey Marshall, Barquell Rivers, and Tyrel Wilson all stepped up and did very well.  Marshall had 5 tackles and a sack.  Plus, Tariq Edwards got another important INT.  As beat up as we are, we're doing awesome. 

This week in college football was a little crazy:
- #3 Oklahoma lost to unranked Texas Tech
- #15 West Virginia lost to unranked Syracuse
- #6 Wisconsin lost to #16 Michigan State
- Unranked Miami upset #22 Georgia Tech
- Unranked Purdue beat #23 Illinois

Even with all that chaos, we still sit #12 BCS and #15 AP.  Don't you wish we played the couch burners every year?  Man, I miss them!  We are now 7-1 (3-1 in the ACC)... and you know why that is scary like a Halloween costume?  That means we are getting closer and closer to seeing Clemson again in December.  Boo!

So, let's just keep on taking it one day at a time.  Duke is up this weekend and I promise that I'll get you something on Friday.  I'm awake/alive/out of the basement now so I'm available for all sorts of Duke research.  I love making fun of preppy schools!

Until Friday...

Love dashing the hopes of boring little Herpys,
The B.S.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment