Monday, October 10, 2011

I Almost Had a Stroke, Part II (and got an ulcer)

The ulcer is finally fading away.  It took me a good 45 minutes just to recover from the last few minutes of the game.  It's a good thing that I had to stand in line at El Rod for 45 minutes.  It got me to come back to my senses.

We damn near lost it.  LOST IT.  What was amazingly wonderful could have been amazingly horrendous minus one crazy-ass QB keeper run down the middle with less than 1 minute to play.  Crazy.  Scary.  Exhilarating.

Don't get me wrong... I don't have season tickets.  But have they ever played Enter Sandman at the end of a game?  Not just once, but twice?  The techno song sucked, but I was like, "oh well, they are trying to get us pumped up and they can't play Enter Sandman."  Then...it came.  It was a miracle!  Not once, but twice!  That is why we won.  Don't get me wrong, the Giraffe had an excellent game, but Enter Sandman saved us.  Thank you, Metallica.  Your video intro, although ill-timed with the jumping, was worth it if it enabled us to play your song three times on Saturday.

The weather was awesome.  Where was that last week?  I'd almost forgotten about the Clemson spanking with the warm air and helicopter flyover, but then I started to feel the ulcer in the second half.  I know I'm usually very down on us and snarky, but I have to admit that we looked pretty good.  I'm not going to blame our defense for the second half.  I knew the second half would be scary; I had hoped it wouldn't be THAT scary.  But we lost G-Dub (Gouveia-Winslow) and Gayle, and that really, really hurt our D.  We were weak due to injuries and it showed.  The only thing I can complain about is the stupid-ass unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that gave Miami a first down.  That was the stupidest thing I've ever seen.  Why would you throw the ball at the opposing team's QB with the game literally on the line?  Insanity.  I bet Bud blew a fuse when that happened.  I know I did.

Thomas had an excellent game.  He had 310 yards and was 23 for 25, with a 92% completion rate.  This was a completion rating record under Beamer.  He even ran 2 into the end zone himself, not to mention had 3 passing TD's.  Vote for the Giraffe here.  He is nominated for the Manning Award Star of the Week through the Allstate Sugar Bowl.  What else can I say about Thomas?  He looked excellent.  He looked like he wanted to be a QB and he looked like he wasn't going to let the Clemson game define him.  I'm proud, very proud.  Think of how scary-good he'll be in a year or two!  

Wilson had his fifth 100+ yard game of the season with 128 yards.  Danny Coale moved up the ranks and now stands at second behind Boykin in career receptions, and he's 4th in career receiving yardage behind Antonio Freeman.  With just 37 more yards, he will take over the 3rd spot from Freeman.

Did you see us punt?  Well, I know I should shun the punting, but since Beamer doesn't read this blog and didn't follow my advice, I'll just take whatever I can get.  He put in a TRUE FRESHMAN!  If you were there, you heard the cheers.  Michael Branthover, who hails from glorious DeMatha HS in MD, got the call to start on Saturday.  He averaged 42 yards per punt between his 2 punts.  I'll take that average any day.  Just lose the shaggy do, Biebs, or that is going to remain your nickname.

What else was awesome?  Did you see G-Dub stop the fake field goal attempt in the first quarter for a two-yard loss?  I'm so proud of G-Dub!  Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce was excellent, as always.  Boykin broke the Hokies' career receiving yardage record.  He's bad-ass, just like Danny Coale.  I have high hopes for both of them on my fantasy team in upcoming years.

Shayne Graham was inducted into the Virginia Tech Hall of Fame, which was well-timed and well-deserved.  He was an insanely good kicker for us.  Tyrod was there, too!  Did you see him?  I know you saw Bryan Randall.  He got two nice standing ovations, which were also well-deserved.

My two pet peeves (did you think I was going to be perky the whole article?) centered around the blonde in front of me:
1. Do not text during the entire game.  You are there, in person, for a reason.  If you want to sit at home and flirt with the guys 20 rows behind you, then stay at home and watch it on TV.  This isn't time to flirt and giggle.  Your job is to watch the game and make noise.  I don't mind a text here and there.  Sometimes there are needed when trying to make former classmates jealous of the fact you are there and they aren't.  But every 2 minutes is annoying, especially when you turn around each time and giggle. 
2. Do not ask for Tyrod, e.g., "WE WANT TYYYYYRRRRODDDD!!!"  We're over this, as Hokie fans.  Tyrod was bad-ass and he is sitting back-up to Flacco for Baltimore.  He doesn't want to come back to college football.  We need the Giraffe to find himself and get better.  That is what this season is all about.  Calling for Tyrod when, well, we had arguably the finest performance by a Tech QB EVER... makes you sound like an idiot.  A drunk, drunk idiot. 

ohhhhh, I love Lane Stadium!  It was scary but it was worth it.  It still "Sucks to be U".  I will continue to wear my shirt with pride.  I will continue to hate Miami because they almost beat us.  And I will now say that their turn-out was pathetic.  Clemson travelled better than they did.

Next up: Wake Forest.  What team will show up?  Let's hope the one who beat the Candy Canes does.

Love for the Sandman,
The B.S.C.

Legal Disclaimer: The B.S.C. does not discriminate based on hair color or soberness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment