Monday, October 3, 2011

Frostbite, Failure... and Fireworks?

The frostbite concerns have subsided.  You'll be happy to know that I think I'll be able to keep both pinky toes.  My hat brim may still be wet, but I think my ski jacket has dried out by now.  It was cold.  Bitterly, utterly, awfully cold.  My toes started to hurt by the end of the first quarter.  By the end of the game, I thought for sure that I'd be going out Bear Grylls-style and cutting them off with just some toe-nail clippers.  Bad-ass, I know.  But luckily, the blood flow returned once I got into my car.  No surgery would have been safe in my Super 8 room.  There was one positive to the nastiness on Saturday night: the Clemson fans were not prepared for it.  One guy behind me was wearing a button-up shirt.  Idiot.

Sorry for the late update.  I strive for Sundays, but well, this game was painful.  I don't want to say I told you so... but well, I did.  I know we all want to believe that every season will be THE season, but every once in a while, you have to remember reality.  Reality slapped us clear across the face on Saturday.  Logan Thomas is young and inexperienced.  Stiney is STILL the offensive coordinator.  As ESPN said, our offense looked "inept".  Our defense will always be great, so long as we can keep Bud Foster on our payroll, but if they stay on the field constantly, at some point they are going to get tired.  They were very, very tired on Saturday.  I just don't understand our play calling.  It completely baffles me.  Let's run to the outside on 3rd and 2.  That sounds like an amazing idea!  Especially when our giraffe-like QB could fall forward for 2 yards.  Genius!  Oh, and the best part?  On my fantasy FB app, at the bottom on Sunday, it said, "Clemson whips Virginia Tech..."  Just push that salt in deeper, ESPN.  Thank you.

We learned a lot Saturday.  "Tiger Rag" is stupid.  The tiger costume is also stupid.  It's a goofy-looking tiger.  At least our turkey looks bad-ass.  Their tiger looks like some stuffed animal from the 1940's.  Let me also say, though, that Clemson travels very well.  Very, very well.  There were lots of them, everywhere.  They seemed to be in awe of the Enter Sandman scene, but who could blame them?  They are used to running down a hill to "Tiger Rag".  The fans around me seemed to be nice.  I can't say I had a bad experience with them.

That being said, let me say a little something about us.  We are supposed to be Virginia Tech fans.  A fan is defined as "an enthusiastic devotee".  Fans do not leave at half-time.  Fans do not leave after the third quarter.  Fans do not sell their season tickets to Clemson fans.  Fans are also not supposed to be jerks, even if they are forced to sit beside fans of the opposing team.  Don't be an a-hole.  If they aren't being a-holes, you have no right to be one.  It makes us no better than WVU.  Do we burn couches?  Then don't make us sound like people who do.  Don't get me wrong, I think that the Hokies Respect thing is ridiculous.  They constantly play commercials for it and waste our time.  I do wish they would bring back that ACC ad with the kids, so we could boo the little kids in the UVA and Miami jerseys again.  That was awesome.  But, it's common sense: don't be a jerk.  Don't sell your tickets to just anyone.  Support your flippin' team, even when you think it may cost you a toe and they are losing.  That is when your team needs you the most.  Enough said.

Another thing I learned this weekend?  The military can't fly when it's drizzling.  Crazy, huh?  Who knew that we spent millions upon millions of dollars on military technology and they can't do a simply fly-over when it's raining.  BUT, regardless of whether or not it's raining OR, you know, the fact that we are LOSING horribly, apparently the Virginia Tech athletic department thinks that fireworks are a dandy idea.  Jim Weaver makes us look like a bunch of morons.  Clemson laughed at us.  We deserved it.

Well, that's about it.  I've taken many deep breaths and told myself that it can't get any worse than this.  But then I remember that Miami is coming up.  I won't even start with them right now.  This is what we need to remember: just because we are Virginia Tech doesn't mean that a "normal" college football season is a perfect season, without losses.  If we don't let this loss define us, it will still be a great season.  Bruce Taylor ("BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE") is becoming an amazing asset on defense.  Remember how awful Tyrod looked in the early games?  Those big fat rainbow throws that floated forever?  Well, Logan looks better than that now, so we're actually ahead on his QB development.  Just please, God, if You are listening... Please do not let him call any more audibles.  I cringe at the thought.

We are now ranked #21 on the AP poll, #17 on USA Today.  Clemson is ranked #8 on both.  They deserve it.  We deserve it.  Let's take out our anger and disappointment on The U this Saturday.  I'll be there.  I'll be the one in the "Sucks to be U" shirt.

Deep breath.  We'll all be fine. 

Love and fireworks,
The B.S.C.

P.S. I do not recommend the Super 8 at exit 150.  It may be rated #1 on TripAdvisor, but it just isn't that peachy.  Apparently, the TripAdvisor pickings are slim for Daleville, VA.  BUT, you can get some interesting donuts there at Blue Collar Joe's.  Highly recommended for the drive home on Sundays.

P.P.S.  Don't think I have forgotten about the punting...oh no...I have not forgotten about the punting.

No comments:

Post a Comment